Sunday, July 5, 2015

Their trial is bigger than mine...

I have a calling, a job of sorts, takes me to the church early to print the program and newsletter. Today while I was there I overheard a gentleman talking about trials and saying that "someones trial is always bigger". My spine bristled. I realize that I heard his comment out of context but I still felt that this was something that needed to be addressed.

Every day there are many different people who are dealing with different trials in their lives. For some it may be cancer, for others unemployment, a fight with a best friend, or even postpartum depression. I don't believe that is healthy to say, "Oh their trial is bigger and harder or smaller than mine." When we do that we are minimizing our own pain, and our own struggle. I don't believe that we can or should compare our trials. For each of us the trial we are going through is our own personal mountain we have been asked to climb. Comparing my mountain to someone else's mountain doesn't change the fact that it is still a mountain.



So what should I be doing in the midst of my trial? I need to be making sure we are where we need to be with the Lord. Are we doing the things we need to be doing to be close to Him? Are we making sure that we are doing all that we can to hear the inspiration we need to make it to the top of our mountain? There isn't a perfect answer...each mountain is different. Maybe a longer scripture study. Maybe for others it means more sincere prayer.

3 comments:

  1. My favorite way to respond to "someone's problems are worse than yours" is with "And someone might be happier than me, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel my own happiness."

    PPD is a BEAST. Been there, done that so very much. If you need another person, I'm here. Any time. You're more important to me than sleep or making dinner! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know there are more of us out there. We find strength in others who have traveled a similar mountain. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete